Welcome weight loss warriors. Doesn't that sound great? I have some exciting news. Well sorry for this long post but I wanted to share as many details as I possibly could. So for the exciting news scroll to the bottom if you don't want to read all of this.
I was inspired by Dusty from All Things GandD to start this Whole Living 2012 Challenge. I read what she and some of her friends and followers have done and gone through. I debated back and forth if I should do this. Believe me I dragged my feet and kept putting it off. Thank you Dusy for inspiring me and doing this. I'm not even sure how I ever found her blog, but thankful I did.
Ok this started out harder than I thought it was going to. Sorry, but I got the days mixed on my last post. I ended going grocery shopping last Monday and that itself was a chore and task. Then the preparing of the foods. Well I took the easy way out with a soup. Our Whole Foods had a cauliflower greenbean soup that was Challenge friendly and already realizing the task I had on hand of chopping and making smoothies I thought this would be good.
I don't have a juicer and decided to make smoothies. I work 12 hour days and I wasn't sure how the day would go for me. I need to bring all the food I need to eat. There are days where you barely get a lunch let alone time to snack. Since I was dealing with my tooth issues I couldn't really eat nuts -- well unless I smash them up before I eat them. Ha!
I think I listed all the food and guess what I didn't even buy everything I needed. We went to 3 places as well. I didn't have my list. We went to the grocery when I didn't expect it.
So what was missing? Lemons, Bananas, Mangoes, Cauliflower, Chia or hemp seeds, Almonds and nuts, Detox tea, toasted sesame seeds, I need more coconut water, basil, chives, tarrogon, fresh carrot juice, orange juice, lime juice, raisins, onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, butternut squash, vegetable broth, and 1 can light coconut milk.
First, I am a healthy eater. But not as healthy as this challenge wanted me to be for a week. I was shocked at what I spent -- $140 just for food for me. Wow. But with our out-to-eat-budget plus grocery budget we ware still under budget. Fruits and vegetables in Hawaii are more expensive than the mainland. I think if I did better planning I could have saved more money. And I still have to buy more. But I made due with what I had. I found out that if I go to farmer's markets I can find produce for a lot better price, but that's a 45 minute or longer drive to some places. But it's a place that I can find gluten free bread. Some of the items will go into next week thankfully.
So week 1 became what I will call the Vegan week. No processed food or beverages, added sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, and alcohol. What I can eat is fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats, including nuts, seeds, and oils.
So my plan was to:
- Breakfast -- First thing hot water with lemon. Then a Smoothie and fruit
- Snack – veggies – cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots, green peppers. Once my mouth can handle it I'll add in a handful of nuts. Fruit if needed.
- Lunch – Salad of lettuce, spinanch, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green onions, radishes and sunflower seeds. Another option could be the sweet potato, celery and apple salad from the Whole Living web site.
- Snack – Smoothie. Veggies just in case I get hungry. A piece of fruit if needed.
- Dinner – Soup and salad or roasted veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and sweet potato
- Snack -- If needed fruit or veggie
Sadly to say that plans don't work out when I work 12 hours and get crazy buzy.
Tuesday - Week 1, Day 1
- Breakfast -- smoothie antioxident with water, pomengrante juice, mixed frozen berries. 1/4 of a honeydew.
- Snack -- missed out. Too busy.
- Lunch -- Salad of lettuce, spinanch, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green onions, radishes and sunflower seeds. Cuties clementine.
- Snack -- the rest of my smoothie. Part of my veggies -- cumcumbers, celery and carrots
- Dinner -- Cauliflower greenbean soup - I didn't really like it tasted and I have 2 more nights of it. 1/4 of honeydew -- something I looked forward to.
I was satisified until about 5 - 6 and was starving. That's when I started snacking on my veggies. It was hard to do because I couldn't really take a break. I was getting a little dizzy and not feeling well. So by the time I got home at 8 pm I was starving. That cauliflower greenbean soup was hard for me to eat. By the end I was gagging. I guess I am not a big cauliflower lover.
End of day accomplished with no cheating. But I did dream about a beef stew. i'm not sure why, it just sounded so good. I'm trying to stay committed to this. I avoided tempation by a coworker who brought in freshly baked rolls. It was so hard to resist, but I did. Then a family brought in chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. Do you know that's one of my favorite cookies? Then a coworker eating my favorite creamy swiss cheese and she offered me one and I said no thank you.
I had to send Mr. P out to buy some lemons. I didn't have any for hot water and lemon. I needed bananas too. I never got to pick up an detox tea.
6 more days of this! Can I do it? I'm going to try.
Wednesday -- Day 2
- Breakfast -- Orange berry smoothie. Did not taste good. How can 3 fruits I love be combined into something not so tasty? It had raspeberries, blueberries, and oranges. Didn't finish it. Not sure if I added orange juice if it would taste better. Honeydew melon. How I love that melon.
- Snack -- missed it. :( so busy at work.
- Lunch -- Salad of lettuce, spinanch, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green onions, radishes and sunflower seeds. Banana
- Snack -- missed it.
- Late snack -- banana and an apple.
- Dinner -- Cauliflower greenbean soup again. Not liking it any better. Some honeydew melon.
Reality check -- it was hard. I try to drink water throughtout the day, but it gets hard when I get so busy at work. I really need to focus on that. I was hungry by lunch. Over hungry actually. My salad was satisfying and so was that banana. But by the afternoon I was dragging and had a headache. I took ibuprofen because it was pounding. That didn't really help. I really think I need more protein (note to self add in more seeds and nuts) and am not sure how the next 5 days will be. Before I went to bed my head was pounding. They say this is part of the detox, but honestly I think it has to do with not eating enough (missing snacks) and lack of protein. I could be wrong though.
Thurdsay -- Day 3
- Breakfast -- smoothie orange berry stuff. Only could finish 1/2 of it. That's 1/2 of 1/2 so 1/4. Not good to not get enough at breakfast. Mooshy fruit no flavor. Honeydew melon.
- Snack -- Banana
- Lunch -- Salad of lettuce, spinanch, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green onions, radishes pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Banana and clementine.
- Snack -- Orange. I just couldn't finish that smoothie from this morning.
- Dinner -- 2 bananas, 1 clementine, some sunflower seeds and pistachio nuts. The soup didn't sound appealing and I wasn't in the mood for it.
I really need to have a back up dinner if the one I am having doesn't work out. It's so important to eat during this time.
I drank more water so that was good. I made sure to get enough water. I drank 2 liters. I didn't have as rough of day at work so that was nice and enabled me to eat my snacks. I can't tell if I'm feeling better. I wasn't as tired as I usually am on my 3rd day of working. Maybe it's working, but I had a headache and had to take 2 ibuprofen. I need to make dinners I look foward to. Do you see how much I love bananas? Ha! I didn't eat enough food.
Friday -- Day 4
- Snack-- Veggies and pistachio nuts
- Lunch -- Salad of lettuce, spinanch, bean sprouts, cherry tomatoes, green onions, radishes pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Fruit salad of blueberries, raspberries and bananas.
|1 small onion sauteed in 3 tablespoons of olive olive oil on medium heat for 5 mins|
|added garlic and sauteed for an additonal minute|
|Addded 4 cups of carrots and 1 small apple for 3 minutes|
|Added 4 cups of vegetable stock, brought to a boil, then simmered on low for 30 mintues|
I woke up feeling better, not as bad as yesterday. I actually had a little more energy. I added up my calories from yesterday and it was about 1300. So I'm getting enough calories. Not feeling well may be the detox flu. I need to buy more fruit. It seems if I have fruit I look forward to then I can do this program. Mr. P headed out and bought some peaches and bananas for me.
Smoothies have been a miss for me. I need to find one that I look forward to drinking and not dreading. 4 days down surely I can do another 3. I need to buy some nuts and more sunflower seeds. I forget this is where I get my protein from.
I need to focus on my health and that I need to lose weight. This is detoxing my body so it's a good thing.
- Breakfast -- Antioxident smoothie. So far my favorite of any I've tried, but that's only been 3. ha! Banana
- Snack-- Orange.
- Lunch -- Salad with green lettuce and spinach, green onion, cherry tomatoes, bean sprouts, lemon juice, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Fruit salad with blueberries, raspberries, peaches and bananas.
- Snack -- The rest of the antioxident smoothie. 1/4 of peach.
Still hungry and not dinner time. I'v been drinking lots of water too. Darn should have had Mr. P buy nuts this morning. So I had a clementine and a banana.
- Dinner -- Fruit salad. Handful of almonds and cashews. It was hard watching Mr. P. eat a Belgian waffle and eggs. He ate bacon but I don't eat pork and think it's gross so that didn't bother me. Oh how that waffle smelled so good.
Day ended with a headache and 2 ibuprofen.
Two more days to go. I start out at the beginning of the day okay, but by the end of the day before dinner I just want real food. What's up with that? I bought some nuts as I was out and I think I need more protein to make me feel like I'm fuller longer. I didn't think I was getting enough calories but if I add in nuts I am fine. I passed by those darn cheesy poufs 2xs when we got the nuts. I passed you right up cheesy poufs.
2 more days I can do it.
Sunday -- Day 6
It's the oddest thing. If I can make it through dinner and the evening to sleep I'm fine. I wake up in the morning not hungry and ready to meet this challenge. Odd. I'm not going to lie. It takes all of my willpower to just not grab something I shouldn't eat and eat it. But am I wanting something because I'm truly hungry or just because I'm bored and want it. Well last night the nuts helped. I think I'm missing chewy stuff. Fruits and vegetables can be chewy and cruchy but not the same as bread or rice. Well as I write this I'm not even sure what I am missing.
- Lunch -- Roasted veggies -- broccoli and sweet potato. Fruit salad of banans, blueberries and raspberries. the only thing I was looking forward to. See how I can't live without fruit? Oh how miserable I would be. I try and focus on eating more veggies, but it's the fruit that keeps me going.
I kept putting off lunch because I didn't want another salad. Ugh. I just changed to roasted veggies. I like the roasted veggies, but the sweet potato could have been better. It was a purple sweet potato. I think yams for me are better tasting. I've used yams before and like them better. I keep telling myself one more day of this I can do it.
I was trying to think of what wouldn't have made me tired of eating this way -- and maybe some chunky tomato soup or vegetable soup. What's hard about this is I bought in bulk to save money -- so that meant having a lot of the things over and over. I need a bit more variety. I stayed away from squash as I never used if before, but I'll try it one of these days. I hope my tips and notes will help you out.
- Snack -- Rest of my smoothie from this morning. Clementine
- Dinner -- More roasted veggies -- broccoli and carrots. Orange.
Monday -- Day 7
- Breakfast-- Smoothie and a banana.
- Snack -- orange
- Lunch -- Salad with lettuce, spinach, radish, bean sprouts, green onion, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Snack -- Smoothie from this morning. handful of dried cherries, almonds, and cashews. Clementine
Serioulsy if I was able to do week 1 you can too. I'm generally a person who eats healthy but has a crazy sweet tooth. I think this has helped cravings I have had. The other part is I was tired of looking at the scale and the numbers not going down. I was tired of looking in the mirror and seeing a lumpy lady staring back. It was time for a change.
My tongue was hurting. I think it had to do with all the citrus and tomatoes I had eaten.
Plan for the rest of Week 2
How I look forward to week 2! It's funny they say if you're hungry you might be dehydrated. Ummmm... I feel like I'm eating a lot less than I normally do. Some days I do other days I get enough calories. I'm drinking a lot of water. Believe me as much as I go to the bathroom in a day I'm drinking enough water. I can't wait for week 3 either. Week 4 will be adding more things in and keeping up with what I'm doing. But seriosuly I'm dreaming of a meal I can have at the end of challenge and I'm not sure what it should be. Then I thought beef stew -- which would be week 4 challenge friendly. Yes I'm kind of a meat and potatoes girl. Well potatoes defintely. I like them almost any way and I could eat them at every meal. Potatoes are the 4th largest crop. China is the world's largest producer!
- Breakfast -- Smoothie. Fruit
- Snack -- Veggies
- Lunch -- Vegetable soup with chickpeas and miso. Lentil soup. Salad. Fish and veggies. Other types of soups that are challenge friendly. Leftover dinner. Fruit.
- Snack -- Smoothie. Fruit.
- Dinner -- Fish and veggies. Fruit.
Link up with me.
Take care lovelies! I love your comments and to see how you are doing.